From the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association | BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
Rubs are seasoning blends applied to the surface of roasts, steak and burgers. These quick mixtures add flavor to beef, but do not tenderize.
- Dry rubs consist of herbs, spices and other dry seasonings.
- Paste-type rubs, which are perfect for roasts, contain small amounts of wet ingredients, such as oil, crushed garlic or mustard.
- Rubs can be applied just before cooking or up to 2 hours in advance and refrigerated until cooking time.
- Simply combine the ingredients and apply evenly to all surfaces. Cook beef to desired doneness.
Smokey Paprika Rub
– 2 tablespoons smoked or Spanish paprika
– 1.5 teaspoons sugar
– 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
– 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
– 2 tablespoons finely ground espresso coffee beans
– 1 tablespoon garlic pepper
– 2 teaspoons brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
– 2.5 teaspoons lemon pepper
– 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
– 3 large cloves garlic, minced
Ancho-Chocolate Citrus Rub
– 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili powder
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
– 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon