- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can tomato sauce (16 ounces)
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet heat the oil and add onion. Cook until onion is soft. Set aside to cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle around the stem of the cabbage and remove the core. Place the cabbage in the boiling water. After a few minutes a leaf will come loose.
- Use tongs to remove the leaf and place on paper towel to dry.
- Repeat this process until you have about 10 leaves.
- After leaves have cooled, remove the thick part of the rib from the bottom of the leaf.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, cooled onion, rice and salt.
- With the stem side of the leaf facing you, place a small amount of beef mixture in the center of the leaf and fold the bottom edge over the mixture. Tuck in the sides and roll up into little packets.
- Place seam side down in baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the tomato sauce, broth and paprika.
- Pour over cabbage rolls cover and bake for 1 hour.
**this recipe also called for ¼ cup of raisins to be added to the meat mixture, but I think raisins are gross, so I did not use them. If you like them, try it with the raisins for some added sweetness.